Today I got up early and set off for the Wai-o-tapu Thermal Village. It was about 30 mins drive from Rotorua on the way to Taupo. I was glad I got there early as it became very crowded later. Also it was still quite cold. Despite the very high day time temperatures it gets very cold at night and this meant that the mudpools etc were really steaming. The view which greeted me was that of a lunar landscape with a few scrubby bushes. Initally there were bubbling mudpools and cavernous craters where the ground had collapsed. You became aware that the ground beneath you was like a honeycomb of boiling water and mud and that it too could collapse! Around the corner was a large lake of hot
water which gave of mineral staining mostly red. Bubbles of carbon dioxide came up through the water, hence the name of 'Champagne Lake'. There were three walks altogether. I completed the first and then headed off up the road to the Lady Knox Geyser huge crowds gathered and waited expectantly for the geyser to blow as it was advertised to do at 10.15 every morning. It was nearly 10.30 by the time it got going and this was because it had to be 'fired up'. This was done by a man with a microphone who came down and gave a talk about how the geyser was discovered. Apparently originally it was just a bubbling hot pool. Some prisoners from a nearby
prison camp came down to it to wash their clothes. When they went to rinse their soapy clothes there was a chemical reaction between the soap and the water in the subterranean chamber of hot water which caused the geyser to be set of. The man then dropped some chemical substance down the hole and after a lot of frothing and spluttering they geyser set off. It was very impressive as it shot up in the sky to a height of about 15/20 metres. After about 10 mins most of the crowd disappeared leaving a few stalwarts like myself to watch for another hour. It finally subsided but was still bubbling a bit when I left. I then went to finish off the other walks and saw more extraordinary lakes and bubbling pools all of differing colours. This turned out to be a bit of an ordeal as it was very hot and crowded. I went for lunch in the cafe and was entertained by the cheekiest sparrows
in the world. They literally come to your plate and pinch your food. I then went back for a last look at some of the mudpools and found that I had the place to myself again. If I was to go again I would have an early lunch after the geyser and then do the walks. Still it was a fantastic visit even if a little touristy. I then went back to town and walked around, trying to get my bearings. I found that without a map I kept getting lost. The streets all look the same and unless you are right by the lake you cannot see it, so there are no landmarks to steer by. I ended up at a huge supermarket called Pak 'n Save which is like a cross between Netto and the last section of Ikea where you go to pick up your flat pack. I couldn't see any handbaskets so had to wander around with a huge great trolley to which I gradually added 2 bananas, 2 apples, a piece of cooked chicken and a pack of salad plus a bottle of beer. And so home for supper.
My travel adventures in New Zealand Dec 2009/Jan 2010.