My travel adventures in New Zealand Dec 2009/Jan 2010.

Monday, 18 January 2010

Back to Queenstown - Sun 17th jan 2010

Next morning after breakfast another early morning cruise down the fjord and out to sea looking for whales again. The weather was especially calm again and apparently they only got the chance to sail out to sea like that 2/3 times per year. There were no whales but we did see lots of seals again. As we went down and back up again the captain sailed the boat into the base of the main waterfalls. This is a trick that most of the cruise boats do and some tourists go for a free shower. It is only possible because of the straight deep sides of the glaciated valley flooded by the sea to form the fjord. This is a picture of the Stirling Falls which we sailed right into.

We were back on shore by 9.15 am and I realised that I would have a very long wait for my Intercity bus which was due to leave at 3.40pm so I paid to go on an earlier bus run by Real Journeys. This turned out to be a mini-bus for the first part of the journey to Te Anau. We stopped and looked again at some of the same sights we had seen going up. They were just as spectacular as before. Once again our driver was very informative. Above is a view down the Hollyburn Valley which we stopped to look at. And below is the Lyttleton River.

There were three lads in the mini-bus who had been on the 'Wanderer' cruise. Two of them Kevin and Colm were picking up their hire car in Te Anau and offered me and the other lad Marcus a lift back to Queenstown. As this would be quicker than the coach I took them up on the offer. Marcus was from Brazil and Kevin was from Chorley and Colm from Derry. We had an interesting conversation about our travels and where we came from etc. As we came over the brow of a small hill we saw a police car parked on the side of the road with its lights flashing. Colm who was driving slowed down and then we realised the policeman was signalling him to stop.

Colm pulled into the layby as directed by the policeman and wound his window down. The policeman said do you know what the speed limit is in NZ? Colm replied that it was 100kph and the policeman said well you were doing 115 so that is an on the spot fine. He then opened the back door and asked Marcus what the law was with regard to seat belts in NZ? Marcus replied that in Brazil passengers in the back seat did not wear them. Colm was fined $80 and Marcus $150. The conversation died a little after that and Colm drove very slowly and carefully back to QT. I will say that we were saved the 'plodledegook' that you get from the average UK policeman. No: 'Sir you have been apprehended, by myself, have been observed, by myself, travelling at a speed in excess of the limit allowed on this highway' etc etc ...

In QT was very hot and humid. When I arrived at the YHA I complained about the disturbed night I had had before and the girl on the desk very kindly put me in a quieter back room. I went out for a walk up through the gardens and along the lakeside towards Frankton after having eaten a very welcome and delicious ice cream from a gelateria called Patagonia Chocolates.

Even though the ice cream was only one scoop it was massive and very filling so I had no supper and went off to bed very contented.