My travel adventures in New Zealand Dec 2009/Jan 2010.

Wednesday, 30 December 2009

We are sailing contd


The cruise then took us around the islands with a stop off at one island. I strolled on the beach and went up the hill to the magnificent view point. Some fellow excursionists went snorkelling. It was then back to the boat for more sailing. Carino cruises.

Many of the magnificent mansions on the private islands were pointed out to us, some with their own helipads. I saw Kiri's place which was a little more modest, though still very large house, on the mainland, with her own motorboat parked off shore. No sign of Kiri herself though. She is known for her game fishing skills apparently and caught the first yellow fin tuna of the season.

At the end of the cruise I was dropped off across the bay from Pahia in the picturesque town of Russell. It was the original capital of New Zealand. Originally a whaling port of great disrepute it is now a very cute town of preserved colonial style houses. A complete contrast to bustling backpacker Paihia. I visited a fascinating museum called Pompallier House where I not only learned a lot about the history of Russell but also all about the tanning and printing processes that went on there.

I finished the day by going back to a wonderful seafood restaurant called 'Only Seafood' and eating a fabulous seafood platter based on sushi and sashimi. With a glass of Seresin wine, wow.

Love to all. Judith